Monday, January 2, 2017

Bandai HGUC Revive 1/144 RX-78-2 Gundam in Kunio Okawara Real Type Colors



Bandai's 1/144 RX-78-2 Gundam got a much improved redesign in 2015 with the "Revive" line. I purchased two of these back then and decided to repaint one in colors and markings based on both Kunio Okawara's paintings and the vintage "Real Type" model kit series from the 1980's. 



Actually, the Gundam had a modernized "Real Type" release in 2016, as a P-Bandai exclusive. 
It's identical to this kit but molded in dark grays instead of white and blue to facilitate a similar 
grey and green color scheme. It also has updated markings that come as stickers.


I had already started on my own version before the P-Bandai version was available so I just kept going from there. While the official version is awesome, I wanted to go with a more retro look that I mostly adapted from the vintage kits. My coloring and some of the white markings are hand painted. The decals are mainly from Bandai's EDFS water-slide decal set and some others. 
I also added extra weapons from one of the Builder's Parts kits.


 Rear view of 1/144 RX-78 (Revive version) and MS-06S Zaku (Origin Version), also painted and decorated in Kunio Okawara style.


Fighting with the MS-09B DOM. My tribute to the original painting by Kunio Okawara. 
I'm still experimenting with weathering effects. Will I be brave and break the shield...?


Notice how in the painting the head of the Gundam is white while the body has light grey areas.
I kept that feature but made the dark green areas lighter.



No comments:

Post a Comment